Join us as we celebrate the life,
the music, and the iconic legacy
of Kansas City’s own:
Charlie “Yardbird” Parker!
5:30 pm: Reception
- 2022 Kansas City Area Youth Jazz Fellows Trio: Ari Staggs (piano), Isaac Pieters (bass), Maurice Butler (drums).
- Food and beverage provided
6:00 pm: Charlie Parker’s Kansas City
- Moderator: Chuck Haddix
- Panelists: Lisa Henry and Clarence Smith
- Introducing: 2o22 Spotlight Charlie Parker Artists In Residence, Houston Smith and Morgan Faw
FRIDAY, August 26 from 8:30 pm to 10:00 pm is “Ode 2 Bird” showcasing the 2022 Spotlight: Charlie Parker “Artists in Residence” – Morgan Faw and Houston Smith, and featuring Faw’s band “The Flame.” @ The Blue Room
The Blue Room at the American Jazz Museum, Spotlight: Charlie Parker, and the Kansas City community welcome the return of natives, Houston Smith, and Morgan Faw, (also known as “The Blue Room Babies”) with their “Ode 2 Bird” concert, a Celebration of Charlie Parker and his Music and Legacy.
This performance will also feature the members of Faw’s working band, “The Flame.”
Conceived by the two alto saxophonists in 2020, “Ode 2 Bird” came from their idea of “pushing the envelope open” through expanding and raising the standard of music coming from a younger generation…a rather Hungry Generation. This concert also realizes the hopes of Charlie Parker himself, who stated as much in a 1954 interview with his contemporary fellow saxophonist, Paul Desmond.
“Ode 2 Bird” features special renditions of compositions by Charlie Parker and Kansas City natives such as Bobby Watson along with the original works of Smith and Faw and more!
- Morgan Faw + Houston Smith – Alto Saxophones
- Christian Napoleon – Drums
- Isaac Coyle – Bass
- Alonzo Demetrius – Trumpet
- Miles Lennox – Piano